Getting to Know Our Volunteers: Alissa Poole

It's no secret that our incredible Girl Scout Volunteers help make this Movement strong! They devote countless hours and endless creativity to making sure Girl Scouting is a memorable experience for every girl. We're excited to introduce you to the Volunteer Corner of the GSCV blog; here is where you get to meet the people who are an irreplaceable part of our organization. 

Today, we're excited to highlight Alissa Poole! She's been a Girl Scout Volunteer for over ten years, and has led her daughter's troop through many adventures, thousands of cookies sold, and endless opportunities to connect with their community.   


Alissa Poole (left) and her co-leader, Anne Kush, from their 2022 camping trip.


Q: What made you want to become a Girl Scout volunteer? 
A: I’ve always volunteered with my kids’ activities and was active with the PTA at that time. I told my daughter I would lead the troop if no other parents signed up. I think that’s how many of us got our start. 😉

Q: What has been the most rewarding part about serving as a Girl Scout leader? 
A: Aside from spending time with my daughter and getting to know her friends, seeing the girls try new things and conquer fears has been the most rewarding. On one of our camping trips, we did a high ropes course, and a couple of the girls were nervous to participate. When they finished, they commented how proud they were of themselves. I loved seeing their pride and accomplishment! 

Q: What is something you’ve learned about yourself during your time as a leader?
A: Before I became a leader, I never would have agreed to go camping. After surviving a very cold and wet March camp training, I ended up taking my girls camping at least 6 times throughout my time as leader – and actually enjoyed it! I definitely surprised myself – and many family and friends – with my outdoor experiences. 

Q: What is one lesson, mantra, or value you’ve tried to instill in the Girl Scouts in your troop as a leader?
A: I’ve always talked to my girls about the importance of female friendships. As they’ve gotten older, I’ve reminded them that romantic relationships will come and go but true friendships will always be there. 

Q: What is one memory that stands out when you reflect over the past 10 years as a leader?
A: A few years ago, we started wrapping gifts at a local retirement community during the holidays. The residents were so happy to talk to the girls and have the gifts they bought for family members wrapped. I thought the girls would enjoy the activity but was surprised how much they loved it and wanted to go back every December. 

Q: In what areas have you noticed the biggest transformation in the girls’ lives? 
A: They’re not afraid to speak up and share their opinions. They’re also very honest about life as a teenager. I’ve loved watching them mature into strong, self-confident young women. 

Q: Is there any project, trip, memory, or activity that your Girl Scouts enjoyed most throughout their time together?
A: Although my girls all attended the same elementary school, they attended three different middle schools and 6 different high schools. Camping always brought them together, whether they were playing gaga ball, making s’mores or hanging out in their pjs playing games. 

Q: What is one piece of advice you’d share with someone considering becoming a Girl Scout Leader/Volunteer? 
A: Don’t try to do everything yourself. Set the expectation from the beginning that girls and parents need to be involved in planning meetings and activities. 

Q: What is one piece of advice you’d share with someone considering becoming a Girl Scout?
A: Take advantage of every opportunity. Don’t be afraid to try new things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GSCV Celebrates 110 Years of Excellence at our 110 Rally!

Welcome to the GSCV Blog!